Saving More Energy By Changing Some Daily Habits
There are many things we can do to “go green” and help Mother Nature. One of these many ways of saving energy is by changing our daily habits. Here are some simple but great ways to save energy.
- Walk or bike to and from work. If your place is too far from the office to walk or bike, consider telecommuting as your next option. This habit saves on gas and parking costs, as well.
- Skip the bottled water. Use a water filter instead to purify tap water and fill a reusable water bottle.
- Support local farmers by purchasing locally raised and organic meat, dairy, and eggs whenever you can.
- Unplug electrical appliances when they’re not being used or make use of a “smart” power strip that senses when an appliance is shut off and decreases its energy producB0090"> - Once your old incandescent bulbs burn out, replace them with compact fluorescent light bulbs. These are available cheaply online at e.g. www.litelec.co.uk or Amazon.co.uk.
- Make sure your heating system is operating efficiently and safely by having it checked regularly by a professional.
- Save water by taking shorter showers, doing full loads of laundry, fixing leaks, and installing low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators.
- Remember to recycle responsibly your used computers, cell phones, and other electronic gadgets as they contain mercury and other toxics that could harm our environment.
- Whenever you replace a household appliance, remember to look for products with the Energy Star or energy efficiency labels to make sure that the products are energy-efficient. A household that uses Energy Star products uses up about 30 percent less energy as compared to the average household.
Now is time we start doing something to save the environment and our planet. Otherwise, we will have no place to live if Mother Earth is destroyed.